Thursday, January 14, 2021

New Year Resolutions Ideas and Tips for 2021

It is the coming of a brand new year again. I am thinking about how I performed in taking care of our mother earth in 2020. And how I can do better in 2021.

Here it is what I came out with and I hope it helps you in any way by sharing how I set my 2021 environment goals and tips to follow them. Each and everyone of us can be an Eco-kid and can do something, no matter the amount.

My yearly environment goals are…


  1. Always use my fountain pen. Don’t buy single use plastic pens

  2. Make 30% of my baking vegan

  3. Prepare nutshell lines for quick, convincing speeches about the environment.

  4. Write to at least 3 hotels/restaurants/events/etc about changing un-eco- friendly ways other than just getting rid of plastic straws 

  5. Make 11 more Eco Kid columns for 2021!


Remember to start small with your environment goals and work your way up! The more specific you are with your environment goals the more likely you will achieve them. Plan your environment goals with reality! If your environment goals are too hard it will be hard to stay committed to them. Remember it will be hard to stay motivated throughout your environment goals, motivation is a feeling, it will come and go. Being committed to my goals and having reasons to stay committed has been an easier way to keep pushing through my goals instead of waiting for the feeling of motivation to continue. 


It might be hard to plan specific daily, weekly, monthly and yearly environment goals for the first time, in fact this 2021is my first time going into specific daily goals! Try setting general daily goals first for example: bring my reusable mask out with me everyday. Then adding on the yearly goals like: become a vegan/vegetarian this year. After you get used to that, add monthly goals like: this January I am not going to support new year fireworks and educate my friend about the way fireworks affects the environment. Then layer on weekly goals like: on Monday I am going to go meatless, then next week I am going to go meatless on Monday and Friday.And finally daily goals like: figure out with my parents how to get my daily protein intake when I am a vegetarian.  Remember to check your environment goals with your parents first! 


It might take a year or three (it took me two & a half years) to get used to and maximise your yearly, monthly, weekly & daily environment goals! Go easy on yourself if you can’t get it right the first time. The first time I started setting environment goals it was very messy and hard to keep up with them. But I slowly learned how to set my goals so that it is easier to keep up with them from my mistakes. And I am still learning! I like setting yearly and general daily goals at the start of the new year, then setting monthly, weekly and daily goals as I get to each month/week/day.


Here are some possible goals you could set for yourself…


Easy environment goals for aspiring eco-kids

  1. Pack a reusable cutlery set in your bag everyday (remember it isn't about buying new pretty cutlery or metal straws, it is about using what you have and being okay about it) 

  2. Switch to a reusable mask to wear everyday (you can start with one day a week and slowly work your way up!)

  3. Set one day a week to go meatless or even vegan

  4. Don’t play with fireworks during chinese new year (lets just say, this takes lots of self control, I still find myself cheating)

  5. Say no to plastic/paper cups and plates (if plastic/paper plates and cups are the only option, my sibling and I will share a plate and don’t take the drinks)

  6. Start bringing a reusable shopping bag  and tiffin in your parents car

  7. Use bamboo toothbrushes


Moderately hard environment goals for eco-kids

  1. Challenge yourself to eat go a week straight without eating meat

  2. Start buying from farms that support the environment

  3. Start buying free-range eggs too

  4. Get your shampoo and body bath from bring-your-own-bottle places or switch to soap and shampoo bars

  5. Only shop for the clothes you need, and try using second hand clothes from your friends instead. Ask your parents if you can cut off your monthly or weekly shopping sprees.

  6. Use both sides of every paper you draw on. (I like having a clean paper folder and a used-on-one-side paper folder to keep the paper neat)

  7. Ask your parents not to go to restaurants that don’t use reusable plates, cups and cutlery


Changemaking environment goals for eco-kids experts

  1. Ask your parent to buy as much necessities as possible from zero waste stores

  2. Ask your parents if it is okay to go vegetarian or vegan

  3. Educate and change one friend or family member on going eco friendly

  4. Help out at a animal shelter or a turtle sanctuary

  5. With the help of a grown up, upcycle a piece of clothing or a item to something useful

  6. Write into a restaurant about going eco friendly with your parents. Don’t just cut off the plastic straws, give eco-friendly suggestions on the use of cutlery, plates, cups, asking their employees to wear reusable masks, to provide vegetarian and vegan options,etc.


Always remember to ask your parents before doing or setting any environment goals. Stay committed and have fun being a eco-kid this 2021!



No comments: